Travel Checklist


Downloadable PDF Version

Travel/Trip Information Needed:

  • Business purpose
  • Travel, conference or event dates
  • Departure and return dates and times
  • Destination
  • Name and address (for non-employees)
  • Social security number (for non-employees)

Exceptions to Policy:

  • An exception memo must be attached to the report when there is a departure from stated policies or dollar limitations, or for specific situations as outlined in the memo must be signed by the same approver as the report. Additional signatures are required if the total report expenses aggregate more than $5,000; or if the exception is for airfare expenses which exceed coach airfare, or for spouse’s or dependent’s University business travel expenses not related to recruiting or development.


  • Coach fare allowed only: business or first class travel requires prior approval by the Dean.
  • Last page of ticket required, or
  • E-ticket/internet – original receipt/statement required indicating method of
  • Flights should be booked at least 14 days in advance.


  • Itemized hotel receipts required.
  • Room charge and applicable taxes
  • Published conference rate, government rate, Big 10 consortium rate or reasonable single occupancy rate for the destination city.


  • Both domestic and foreign travelers will be provided a per diem rate for travel days in accordance with the U.S. General Service Administration. Per diem rates include meals and incidentals.
  • Incidentals include fees and tips for porters, baggage carriers, bellhops, hotel housekeeping, stewards/stewardesses, hotel staff, transportation between lodging or business and restaurants, and mailing costs for filing expense reports.
  • The per diem policy does not apply to guests and students. Units may reimburse guests and students actual or a set rate, provided actual or rate does not exceed the current maximums of $25 breakfast, $25 lunch, $55 dinner.

Car Rental:

  • Original itemized receipt/rental agreement required regardless of the amount.

Alcoholic Beverages:

  • In general reimbursement for alcoholic beverages should not be separate from meal However if the business purpose justifies it, reimbursement for alcoholic beverages served at dinner only may be separate from meal limits, but cannot exceed $20 per person or a maximum total of $75 for food and alcohol costs combined.
  • Alcohol expense must be flagged with an “x” class and charged to a non-General or non-Federal fund or alternatively, covered with personal funds.


  • Actual and reasonable

Other Expenses:

  • Registration fees -original paid receipt required if over $25.
  • Personal automobile mileage per University policy. Mileage includes the cost of gas: therefore, you cannot request both mileage and gas. Mileage reimbursement is not allowable for travel around campus or to local establishments (but you may account for this mileage on your personal income tax form as a business expense).
  • Gasoline is allowed for rental cars only, not for personal
  • Out of town parking and road tolls.
  • Business calls, reasonable in frequency and
  • Personal calls – one per day and reasonable in duration.
  • Laundry expense (only if the trip is longer than one week), photocopies, conference materials, internet connection fees.

General Information

  • Travel expenses for employees are submitted through the University’s travel and expense system, Concur, within 45 calendar days from the end of the trip, hosted event, or out of pocket expense.
  • If an expense is conference-related, the conference brochure is required.
  • Any item over $75 requires an original receipt except hotel and transportation expenses where original receipts are required regardless of amount.
  • $500 minimum advance for faculty and staff; $100 for students and guests.
  • See Travel and Business Hosting Expense SPG for complete instructions, but note that College policies are more restrictive.
  • See Procurement Services’ Travel & Expense page for additional information on travel and Concur.