The UM Emergency Alert system is a mass, urgent notification system, comprised of a variety of methods, by which the university contacts students, faculty and staff in the event of an active, major campus emergency or when the campus is closed for inclement weather.
The system will be used for several reasons:
- A major safety threat to the campus
- A hazardous material or chemical release in the area
- An imminent tornado strike
- Snow days
How to Register for UM Emergency Alerts:
Notification methods include:
- Text message (SMS to cell phones)
- Voice mail to cell phones
The university will also use other methods of communication during an emergency or when a situation is non-life threatening. Other forms of communication include social media posts, non-urgent emails, and local media reports.